Have you ever wonder why people enjoy decorating pumpkins?
Carving pumpkins is a tradition that originated hundreds of years ago when the Irish immigrants arrived in America and they started to carve pumpkins due to the jack-o’-lanterns history.
But real question is: what should you do with the flesh once that you had gouged the pumpkin? EAT IT!
This orange fruit is harvested in October and it is the protagonist of Halloween, not only as a decoration but also because it is the perfect fruit,with its nutritious and versatile property, and it is adapt to making soups, desserts and many more recipes.
So this Halloween do not limit yourself and enjoy decorating pumpkins but especially EAT THEM!
Here’s a list of reasons why you should be obsessed with with superfood:
- FEEL FULLER Pumpkin’s flesh contains only 50 calories per cup and 3 grams of fiber. A pack of pumpkin seed contains about 1.7 grams fiber per ounce which helps you to feel you fuller longer with less appetite. Furthermore thanks to the little presence of calorie it is excellent for diets. It also contains water, fiber, minerals and vitamins which contribute to solve constipation problems.
- PREVENT CANCER Studies show that carotenoids in combination with other antioxidants that are contained in large amount in this vegetable can reduce cancer risks.
- PLACATE INSOMNIA Pumpkin seeds contains Tryptophan which is an amino acid that contributes on good humor and have a good rest because it helps the body to produce serotonin, the feel good neurotransmitter.
- PROTECT YOUR TICKER Fibers, which are present in large quantities in this vegetable, are a great help to protect the heart. A study conducted at Harvard University has shown that those who have a high fiber diet are 40% less likely to have heart problems.
- INCREASE YOUR VISION Pumpkins are rich in Vitamin A, magnesium, potassium, zinc, iron and lutein, all elements that are fundamental to improve eyesight and boost the immune system. Vitamin A also helps form and maintain healthy skin, teeth and bones. Carotenoids, in addition help with other antioxidants contained in this vegetable to fight degenerative diseases due to aging.
- NATURAL PAINKILLER Thanks to the high beta-carotene presence pumpkins have excellent anti-inflammatory properties. This vegetable is particularly useful for those who suffer from arthritis, muscle strain, painful menstruation, and other conditions requiring the use of painkillers.
Do not throw anything away!
Pumpkins are excellent because you can eat everything and not only the juicy flesh.
For example you can use the peel for making nourishing face mask and if you eat it you’ll have a natural antibiotic able to counteract fungus and bacteria.